Saturday, May 19, 2012

Chevron Art Using Melted Crayons and Glue Guns!! **

UPDATED 7/9/13
 
I marked every 2 inches of the canvas.  This is a 18x24 and I used magic tape by Scotch.
The taping doesn't need to be exactly perfect because when you peel off the tape it won't matter. 

I found these crayons at Wal-Mart for 25cents a box ;)

These are the colors I used.  I just chose random neon colors.


This is what it'll look like as the crayon starts dripping down.  Don't worry so much about trying to make things perfect.  It's art!  Once you peel the tape off the chevron pattern will come through.

The glue gun.  I used a pencil afterwards to help push out the rest of the crayon.

The crayon will splatter so be sure to have your area well covered.  Melted crayon stains! 
Gotta love art though right?

This is my second time doing this and i'm happy with it. 

Oh right, you can use a razor blade/knife to cut the paper off the crayons to make things easier.

Hope you all enjoy your new cool piece of art! 
 
Original Post
 
**12/11/2012 - Thank you all so much for the support!  I didn't think i'd get so many views and compliments on this but once again, thank you all!!  I will update again if I make any more of these!**
 
©2012 LeslieLovesMakeup
YES, it's melted crayons and I KNOW it's been going around for a while now, but I wanted to do something a little different and fun.


** I didn't take step by step pictures because I was too caught up in working in the project and it was my first time so I wanted to concentrate on making it work.

Items used: dollar store masking tape (this one worked best because it stuck to the canvas when the other ones wouldn't)
- lo temp glue gun
- regular sized crayons (important)
- 18x24 economy canvas from AC MOORE's
-1 colored pencil
-magazine papers (for protection)

This took longer than expected because I had to cut the tape and shape them out.  I suppose it would have been easier if I had drawn the chevron stripes first then taped them but I didn't..so it was free handed.

**The crayons don't fit in the glue gun, so I unscrewed the glue gun and took it apart, took the trigger off, and screwed it back on.  This allowed for me to use the crayons without the thing that holds the glue sticks in the way.  This made it so much easier.

The color pencil was used to push the colors through the glue gun.  After this was finished I simply peeled off the tape and got to reveal the ending.  The melted crayons definitely give this an awesome 3D effect! 

It was some work but I now have an original piece of art work that was done by me ;)

Hope you enjoyed this!  Take care and let me know what you come up with.
 
 
 
 
 

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Love the outcome. Would have never thought of doing something like that.

xo,Cortnie
http://stylelustpages.com

Aleacia said...

This is a wonderful twist on such a fun project! I love the colors you used!

~Aleacia @ Dilly-Dali Art

Ale said...

I love it! Did you just run the gun along the tape and it just melted down?

Samantha said...

Very cool, but I have the same question as Ale;did the crayon melt down to form those lines or did you make those lines yourself?

Laura said...

Brilliant! I love this idea. How many crayons of each color did it take? This is a very cool looking piece.

McKenzie E. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McKenzie E. said...

Love the way your artwork depicts "Controlled Chaos". It makes it simple yet quirky and fun all at the same time. It really makes a statement.

Chandler said...

I love this so much! And I plan to try it myself. Just a few questions though. First, did you make all the lines yourself or did you just trace the tape and let them run. Also, they didn't mess up your glue gun right?? I have serious attachment issues to my glue gun so I don't want to ruin it but I really want to try this.

Unknown said...

Just wondering do the melted crayons ruin the glue gun?

Kelly said...

Could you explain how you created the chevron lines? Did you just trace along the tape with the glue gun and the the colors melted down? Love this!

Unknown said...

Your instructions are not all that clear. You have had several people ask questions and you are not answering!?! Cool project but Please don't leave us hanging on to questions!!!

Unknown said...



QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED!!


Did you just run the gun along the tape and it just melted down?
-yes, i ran the gun along the tape and it melted down.
i just turned the artwork upside down because i thought it looked cooler that way.

How many crayons of each color did it take?
-it took 1 crayon of each color, but just in case for you guys, be prepared to have a few extra..just in case

First, did you make all the lines yourself or did you just trace the tape and let them run. Also, they didn't mess up your glue gun right??
-the crayons did make the glue gun messy but i don't plan on using it for anything else but artwork involving crayons :)

Could you explain how you created the chevron lines?
-i free handed the chevron with the masking tape


Your instructions are not all that clear. You have had several people ask questions and you are not answering!?!
-sorry my instructions are not that clear, i've been away from my blog for a while and have dealt with a recent deployment.
hopefully me answering the questions will help a little.

I APPRECIATE ALL OF THE LOVE, THANK YOU ALL TRULY FROM MY HEART <3 -LESLIE

Emily Kathleen said...

love it! and hope all the best during deployment. #hero

Casey said...

Will you do it again with step by step pictures PLEASE?!?!? Also what colors did you use? I love the ones you did! I've been thinking of doing this on a black canvas....

Casey said...

Will you do it again with step by step pictures PLEASE?!?!? Also what colors did you use? I love the ones you did! I've been thinking of doing this on a black canvas....

Unknown said...

@casey I will think about doing a step by step.. i don't know the names of the colors i used but i chose neon looking colors.

Jean said...

i like this. i've been so lazy on crafting....

and i'm so bad about step by step descriptions.. real bad.

Unknown said...

can you please advice how did you place the crayons before melting them ? did u arrange then in zig-zag pattern ? U didnt show the pic about how u arrange the crayons on the canvas after putting the tape.

Unknown said...

Can you please advice how did you arrange the crayons on the canvas before melting them ? You didnt show the pic if the crayons were placed in zig-zag pattern after the applied the tape.

Liked your project so would like to know more.

Unknown said...

sdfali - I didn't arrange the crayons. I just pushed them through the glue gun in a downwards motion.

Unknown said...

Doing this for my daughter's next birthday party. Thanks for sharing your creativity!

Cath Brookes said...

WOW! That looks like a ton of fun. It looks super cool my son would love it.
Best Seattle Landscape Architect information

Thomas said...

I marked every 2 inches of the canvas. This is a 18x24 and I used magic tape by Scotch. The taping doesn't need to be exactly perfect because ... 2canvasart.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I want to try this, but, using one color, like NAVY......

Love it and thank you for posting

rerae said...

I absolutely adore this! So glad I saw it! Your instructions were clear in my head! I will be trying this soon. Thanks for sharing!

power said...

Glue sticks are manufactured to melt at the specific temperatures according to the types of glue guns that are required for these glue sticks https://gluegunwiki.com/